12 Public Relations Quotes for a Successful Career
As #PRPros, we love the art and service of public relations, but may love those more who understand the value of it just as much as we do. Yet to the masses, public relations may still be the least understood or easily defined of all marketing professions. Managing, controlling and influencing people’s perceptions to create or reinforce opinion, as well as building mutually beneficial relations, is invaluable for businesses and a niche not easily mastered by many.
PR is neither advertising nor is it free. Some may know it’s critical to the success and credibility of business, yet few understand what it entails. PR is a time consuming, labor intensive, and often, an around-the-clock process. It has arguably become one of the most effective ways to build a brand or reinforce one. Public figures and companies can survive, thrive or crumble without a well-tailored public relations strategy. It is only becoming more critical and is demanding the same respect and budget as its advertising counterpart. A recent custom study by inPowered has even concluded that PR is almost 90 percent more effective than advertising.
For the list of all the things that PR is and does, it’s sometimes best represented and respected through the voice of professionals whose names and backgrounds we know and trust.
“If I was down to my last dollar, I would spend it on public relations.”
– Bill Gates, Co-founder of Microsoft, American business magnate, philanthropist, investor and computer programmer
“Do you know what the difference is between PR and advertising? Advertising is when you say how great you are. PR is when other people say how great you are. PR is better.”
– Guy Kawasaki, American marketing executive, one of the Apple employees originally responsible for marketing the Macintosh computer line in 1984
“For individuals and organizations alike, a reputation is far easier to destroy than it is to build.”
“Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some hire public relations officers.”
– Daniel J. Boorstin, American historian and former Librarian of the United States Congress
“A brand is no longer what we tell the consumer it is – it is what consumers tell each other it is.”
– Scott Cook, founder of software firm Intuit (Quickbooks and TurboTax) and Proctor & Gamble and Ebay board member.
“People don’t buy goods and services. They buy relations, stories, and magic.”
– Seth Godin, American author, entrepreneur, marketer, and public speaker
“There’s no time to waste. Every day, there needs to be movement on something.”
– Desiree Rogers, Former White House Social Secretary and Chief Executive Officer of Johnson Publishing Company
“In a downturn, aggressive PR and communications strategy is key.”
– Douglas Leone, a Forbes ranked top 10 venture capitalist, partner at Sequoia Capital
“Publicity is absolutely critical. A good PR story is infinitely more effective than a front page ad.”
– Richard Branson, English business mogul, investor, philanthropist and CEO and founder of Virgin Group
“Public relations specialists make flower arrangements of the facts, placing them so that the wilted and less attractive petals are hidden by sturdy blooms”
– Alan Harrington, American novelist and philosopher, author of “The Immortalist”
“Next to doing the right thing, the most important thing is to let people know you are doing the right thing.”
– John D. Rockefeller, American business magnate and philanthropist, co-founder of the Standard Oil Company, which dominated the oil industry and was the first great U.S. business trust.
“The public is the only critic whose opinion is worth anything at all.”
– Mark Twain, (Samuel Clemens) American author and humorist, “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer” and “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”