Five Signs You’re Meant For Public Relations
- You love to put out fires. Crisis communications is one of the leading fields of public relations (PR) because when fires blaze, you’re there to put them out. It’s as simple as that. And what’s even better? Regardless of the backdraft, your client still comes out unscathed and fresh as room filled with charbroiled oysters sprayed with Febreze.
- Image means everything to you, especially if it’s not yours. If your client doesn’t look good, you don’t look good. For example, you don’t want to be that guy people reference in the same sentence of let’s say … Ferguson, Mo.
- You critique random statements by random people during random times of the day. Have you ever read those Grammarly memes? If not, you must check them out and thank me later for the chuckle and tip.
- You can read beaucoup emails, check all of your social media pages and drink five cups of coffee before 10 a.m. (and you came into work at 8 a.m.). In case you didn’t know, “beaucoup” is French for “a lot,” which brings up the next and last sign.
- You must know a little bit about damned near everything. Not just PR-related stuff, either. The best PR specialists know and employ this ideology. Know how to say “hello” in different languages (not just in Spanish, French or the native language of the current World Cup host). Did you know John Wayne played the leading role in 142 of his 153 movies or “sporange” is an actual word that rhymes with orange? It’s a botanical term. You may need this information one day. You never know what potential client will walk through your door and if you’re good at what you do, it might be at any time in the near future.
By Nikki Bannister, @NikBannister